Dollywood is a 125-acre theme park owned by and named after entertainer Dolly Parton.
Located in Pigeon Forge, it is open March through December and is the second top tourist attraction in Tennessee after the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
The park offers more than 40 rides and attractions, live entertainment and craftsman demonstrations as well as hosting annual art and music festivals.
It is organized into eight themed areas.
• Showstreet is the introductory area of the park that features several shops and eateries, including The Sweet Shoppe and the Liberty Gift Shop. Guests can also take in live shows at the Showstreet Palace and Dolly Parton Theatreor visit the Southern Gospel Museum and Hall of Fame.
• Timber Canyon is a mine camp themed area of the park that features the award-winning “Thunderhead” roller coaster and “Mystery Mine” coaster. It also features the rotating, tilting tower ride, “Timber Tower”, which is the only ride of its kind in the US.
Other attractions include the “Lumberjack Lift” cable-pull ride and the new “River Battle” water ride that features onboard water soakers to shoot other passengers and nearby targets. Timber Canyon also includes “Lil’ Loggers’ Landing” which features a multi-level play structure with climbing walls, slides and interactive features.
• Adventures in Imagination features the “Smoky Mountain Wilderness Adventure Tour” indoor attraction and the “Chasing Rainbows” museum.
• Jukebox Junction is a realistic 50’s area where guests can enjoy a show at the Pines Theatre or take an antique car ride at the “Rockin” Roadway”.
• Rivertown Junction features a replica of Parton’s childhood “Smoky Mountain Home” as well as a host of arts and craft stores. Guests can visit Mountain Slate Works and The Old Mill’s Pigeon River Pottery or watch hand-blown glass being made at the “Rainbow Glass Blowing Factory”.
• The Country Fair area includes a variety of carnival rides, including the “Dizzy Disk”, “Scrambler” and the “Waltzing Swinger” swings. It also features “Dolly's Demolition Derby” bumper cars, “Shooting Star” tower drop and the “Wonder Wheel” Ferris wheel. Country Fair is home to several kiddie rides that include “Piggy Parade”, “Busy Bees”, “Lucky Ducky” and the “Amazing Flying Elephants”. Other tame rides include the “Sky Rider” plane ride, “Lemon Twist” teacup ride and the “VeggieTales Sideshow Spin” kiddie coaster.
• The Village is home to the Heartsong Theatre and the “Village Carousel”. Guests can also visit the Train Depot and catch the "Professor Seymour Tricks Magic Show" and then take a five-mile tour around the park on an authentic steam engine.
• Craftsman’s Valley is one of the oldest and largest areas of the park and includes the “Tennessee Tornado” steel coaster and the “Blazing Fury” indoor coaster. It features over a dozen authentic crafters demonstrating and explaining their crafts, including blacksmiths, blacksmith, woodcarving, candle making and woodcarving. Craftsman’s Valley also includes the Palace Theatre, the Robert F. Thomas Chapel and the Calico Falls Schoolhouse. The Eagle Mountain Sanctuary bald eagle aviary can also be found here.
Splash Country is a 30-acre water park located next to the DW theme park that is open from May through September.
It features more than 23 slides and attractions including the “Mountain Waves” wave pool and the “Downbound Float Trip” lazy river.
Thrill rides include the “Big Bear Plunge”, “Wild River Falls” and “Raging River Rapids” raft rides.
Other thrill slides include the seven-story slides of “Fire Tower Falls”, the “Butterfly” and the three body slides of “Mountain Scream”.
“Mountain Twist” also offers three mat slides and the “Swiftwater Run” funnel raft ride will be added to the lineup in 2008. The park also features the “Cascades” family activity pool, which is an 8000 square-foot water sprayground with geysers, slides and interactive water features.
Kids can also enjoy the “Little Creek Falls” kiddie sprayground and the “Bear Mountain Fire Tower” multi-level play structure that includes a giant tipping bucket, water cannons and slides.
Click here to find great travel deals to Pigeon Forge.
For more information on these Tennessee theme parks, please contact:
Dollywood & Splash Country 1020 Dollywood Lane Pigeon Forge, TN 37869 865-429-9912